Saturday, October 28, 2017

Don't judge

Hey there,

today I need to tell you a little something. Yesterday at work I experienced something nobody should:

Currently I work as a waitress at an ice cream parlor. 
Yesterday I was the only one working there, the weather was not that good and therefore we did not have too many customers. A couple came by. They sat down, smiled at me and when I wanted to take their order they started talking. They told me where they came from because they were here on vacation and that they were in Spain a few weeks ago. They asked if I was from Spain, because I do not look very German. I smiled and told them that I have German and Arabic roots.
They looked at each other and the woman just said one more thing to me: "You should have stayed in your country!" Without another word they left...

I do not take it to heart but something like that really hurts! I am telling you this story because people often do not realize how powerful words can be. Words can be as sharp as a knife and though they do not break your skin, they hurt just as much and the scars they leave are not visible but they are there.

Growing up like I did, being a part of two pretty different worlds shaped me. People from both sides, strangers as well as family, tried to tell me what was right or wrong, who to hate and who to admire, how to behave, how to feel... 
It was not easy but I am thankful for that, it made me who I am. And I am a person who hates prejudice and racism. 

People like to judge and to categorize. But if you do so then do not do it based on where they come from, on what they believe in, on how they look, on who they love. Do it based on who they are as a human being, on their characters and their actions.

Who knows?! Maybe the person you once pushed away because he did not fit into your box would have been your best friend. Maybe the woman you once harassed for her looks would have made you the happiest man in the world. Maybe the man you once rejected because he had the wrong color of skin would have been the most loyal and dedicated employee you ever had... 






This is my amazing grandma. I am Muslim, she is Christian. She celebrates the Sugar Feast with me and I celebrate Christmas with her. 
We do not always see eye to eye on everything but we accept, we even embrace our differences and we love each other to the moon and back. 








Look beyond the differences and you will see countless similarities. Communication and an open heart - these are the keys. Every single person is an individual, never forget that.

With lots of love,

Loulou

No comments:

Post a Comment